Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Dark Side of Chocolate...

This week I continue my focus on the chocolate we use at Specialty’s.  In my previous article I talked about how Cacao (pronounced 'ka-KOW') pods are harvested and turned into Milk Chocolate.  Today I’d like to share a richer, deeper chocolate experience… Semi-Sweet chocolate; my favorite!
 
Our Semi-Sweet chocolate contains a higher percentage of cacao (55%) than our Milk Chocolate (30%) giving it that dark appearance and extra rich flavor you can taste in our cookies.  We use chunks of Semi-Sweet chocolate in our cookies, so when you bite in to them, you can see and taste that gooey-chocolatyness (spell check says there is no such word, yet I know it to be true) all throughout the cookie.  Semi-Sweet chocolate has no milk. And since it has more cacao there is less room for sugar.  What that means is the resulting chunk is only semi-sweet and is filled with more chocolate flavor.  I like using Semi-Sweet chocolate in my baking because it balances out the sweetness of my pastry.  I also use it in my cooking; it adds a depth of flavor and a touch of sweetness to many dishes.  Of course, I eat it straight out of the bag as well.  
  
I always keep a supply of Guittard chocolate on hand for baking and eating.  Storing it properly (described in my milk chocolate blog) ensures it looks and tastes its best when I bake or eat it.   Since chocolate contains Theobromine, I’m careful to store it safely.  Theobromine is an alkaloid and just an ounce of baker’s chocolate contains (400mg) enough to send a 40lb dog to the vet.  Please take care in keeping chocolates out of reach of pets.
  
One of my favorite ways to use Guittard Semi-Sweet chocolate is in brownies. This brownie recipe is a super easy, one bowl dessert that is quick to whip up, quick to bake and quick to disappear!  One batch will yield 16 – 2” inch squares.  But who eats a two inch square???
 
Quick & Easy Brownies
1 cup (6 ounces) Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips*
1/4 cup butter
2 large eggs
1/2cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
*For extra chocolaty brownies, stir another cup of semi-sweet chips into the batter.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF and butter the bottom of an 8x8-inch pan.
1) In a microwave safe bowl: combine 1 cup of chips with butter and melt on a 50% setting in the microwave, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Then, set aside to cool.
2) Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
3) Stir in the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula.
4) Add flour and salt, stirring only until combined (it’s OK if there are some small lumps)
5) Spread the batter into the buttered pan, getting batter all the way in the corners. 
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center still has moist crumbs on it.
When cool, cut the brownies into 2-inch squares.   Dust with powdered sugar for a festive presentation.
 
Baking Tip:  If you bake brownies so the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies will be cakey.  If you pull them out when they are just a little underdone, when they are cool they will still be chewy.
 
Eat Well,
 
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment